Another creation especially for Whole Earth Foods, I was keen to make something seasonal while also providing key nutrients and properties to refuel after an intense workout. I’ve been fitting in the Wonder-fuel Workout videos, led by Mark Wren, as part of my own fitness routine, and these 10 minute videos have really been making a difference.
So, onto these squares of deliciousness…With an oat base packed with complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats from the nut butter and coconut oil, smothered with an autumn-inspired spiced pumpkin topping, make these on Sunday so you have some healthy snacks to keep you going and enjoy after a workout, whether morning, afternoon or evening!
For the oat base:
- 1 cup oat flour (oats ground in a food processor)
- ½ cup rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
- 2 tbsp date nectar syrup (Beloved works well)
- ⅓ cup blended cooked apples (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp Whole Earth nut butter (I used the 3 Nut variety)
For the pumpkin topping:
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin chunks, cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salted caramel extract (or vanilla extract)
- ⅓ cup natural sweetener (I used Truvia stevia)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Walnut halves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line an 8×8 baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- First, make the base: Mix together the oats, oat flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the coconut oil, date nectar syrup, apple sauce and peanut butter. Pour this into the oat mixture and stir well until combined.
- Spread this mixture around the base to cover, smoothing it out evenly. Bake in the oven for about 5-8 minutes, until just starting to go golden and firming up a little.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: place the cooked pumpkin cubes in a blender with the gg, caramel or vanilla extract, sweetener and spices. Whizz up until smooth.
- Remove the oat base from the oven, pour over the pumpkin mixture and return to the oven for about 30-40 minutes, until the topping has set.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin. Now cut up into 12 squares. It might still be a little soft, which is why it’s important to wait until cooled and set. Place a walnut half on top of each to finish off – that’s all it needs!
- Keep in the fridge for up to 2 days – otherwise, get eating!
Check out my other post workout treats especially for Whole Earth Foods over here. The ideal way to refuel after an intense 10 minute workout led by Mark Wren!