So I fancied having a go at making a low carb, high protein, no refined sugar Lemon & Poppy Seed Loaf after seeing this combo pop up more and more on Instagram and various food blogs. This one contains apple puree to add moisture without bumping the fat content up, while the inclusion of turmeric gives it that extra yellow colour while boosting the nutrients in this simple but delicious loaf. Enjoy!
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour (I used Sukrin)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used PhD Nutrition)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (I used Lucy Bee)
- 3 tablespoons stevia (I used Truvia)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup unsweetened apple puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 2 tablespoons Sukrin Zero Icing Sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Extra lemon zest, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and lightly grease two x mini loaf tins. You could also make these into muffins – the mixture will make around 4-5.
- Mix together the oat flour, almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, turmeric fruit sugar, poppy seeds and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg and pour into the dry ingredients along with the lemon juice, apple puree and vanilla extract. Stir well until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Divide this between your chosen tins and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until risen, golden and cooked through.
- Leave in the tin for a bit, then turn out on a wire rack to cool.
- Whisk together the icing ingredients then drizzle over both of the loafs. Leave to set then slice up and serve!