You may have seen a recent post I shared featuring the gluten-free crumpets from Newburn Bakehouse, the ‘Free From’ brand from baking company Warburtons who now offer a range of gluten-free, wheat-free and milk-free alternatives for those with coeliac disease, intolerances or dietary requirements. Now traditional British breakfast items can be enjoyed as part of an extensive range which includes loaves, hand crafted Artisan boules, rolls, wraps and sandwich thins.
I’ve created exciting topping recipes as part of the #CrumpetChallege to show just how versatile these baked goods are. At 123 calories per crumpet and low in saturated fats and sugars, they would make an ideal sweet or savoury snack or meal to be enjoyed at any time of the day. My sweet one was inspired by a childhood favourite: banana, peanut butter and jam – heavenly.
This time around, we’re going savoury. As someone who loves pizza, I thought the gluten-free crumpets would make an ideal base topped with tomatoes, ham, herbs and cheese – a simple but delicious combination. Of course, you could add whatever gluten-free toppings you want (just as you would with a normal pizza base), that’s part of the joy of throwing together your own. Here’s how I made them!
Cheesy Ham & Tomato Crumpet Pizzas
- 2-3 Newburn Bakehouse gluten-free crumpets
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper and salt, to season
- 3 slices gluten-free good quality ham (make sure it’s not breaded)
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and place the Newburn Bakehouse gluten-free crumpets on a baking tray.
- Mix together the tomato puree with the herbs and seasoning, then spread over each crumpet to cover.
- Now tear up the ham and scatter over along with the halved cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle over the cheese, then place in the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Transfer to a plate and dig in!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons. The Newburn Bakehouse crumpets are available in ‘Free From’ aisles and online in Morrisons, Ocado, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, and Waitrose.