I’ve been challenged with created a selection of recipes in celebration of International Sweet Potato Week (from 1st – 13th April) in collaboration with American Sweet Potatoes. Being a big lover of the super nutritious bright orange root vegetable, I love how versatile they are in both sweet and savoury recipes – it’s hard to choose a favourite way of using them.
You may have seen my Sweet Potato, Edamame, Feta & Pomegranate Salad recipe – this time I’m creating a healthy twist on a classic: PIZZA. That’s right, using mashed sweet potato to form a base, then topping it with a bold pink beetroot & feta dip alongside chickpeas, spinach and feta. A taste sensation, this looks (almost) too pretty to eat!
For the the base –
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g gram (chickpea) flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 50g oat flour (whizz up oats in a blender – I used Flahavan’s)
- 50g spelt flour (I used Rude Health)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (I used Kaizen Living)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the beetroot feta dip –
- Check out the recipe for this over here
Additional ingredients –
- ¼ can chickpeas in water, drained well
- Handful of spinach leaves
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled
- First steam/boil the sweet potato chunks until softened. Drain then cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and place a large sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet.
- Mix the chia seeds with 2 tablespoons water and set aside for 10 minutes to form a gel.
- Place the cooked and cooled sweet potatoes in a blender (I used my Ninja Kitchen Auto IQ) along with the flours, chia seed gel, herbs and seasoning, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Now blend until smooth.
- Add a little more flour if you need to – you should have a slightly sticky ‘dough’. Spoon this onto the lined tin and use the back of a spoon to spread out and form a circular shape (about ¼ inch thick). Bake for 20 minutes then leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile make the beetroot dip (see recipe).
- Spread a generous layer of the beetroot dip over the base then scatter over the spinach leaves, chickpeas and feta. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven then slice into about 6. Now enjoy!
Look out for my other recipes especially for International Sweet Potato Week 🙂