Breakfast can be a fast and hectic occasion in the morning, which isn’t ideal when we want to fuel ourselves with something tasty and nutritious. Say hello to this delightful oaty banana bars, packed with seeds and bursting with blueberries – making a great on-the-go option or any time of the day when you need a natural energy boost. In collaboration with Buy Wholefoods Online again, you could add grated pear, apple or carrot to really up the fruit/veggie content, or use raspberries instead of blueberries; likewise use whatever nuts or seeds you prefer – they are easy to customise!
For the base –
- 100g cooked quinoa (can be mixed colours)
- 150g oats
- 25g pumpkin seed
- 25g sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 70g coconut oil
- 100g nut butter
- 70g raw honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping –
- 25g mixed seeds
- 150g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Place the quinoa, oats, seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and mix together. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Gently melt the coconut oil, nut butter and maple syrup and honey then pour into the bowl along with the vanilla. Stir well to create a slightly sticky flapjack-style texture.
- Spoon into the tin and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Mix together the seeds and blueberries and sprinkle evenly over the base. Pat down gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firmed up then leave to cool and firm up in the tin. Remove from the tin and cut into 8-10 slices – enjoy!