“It’s a first in the UK. It’s innovative. It’s delicious. It’s different from everything you’ve seen before.”
What am I talking about? Popcorn Shed’s Mini Pop, popcorn made from an ancient grain of white corn, which pops into tiny pieces that are about half the size the regularly popcorn – still as tasty but smaller and won’t get stuck in your teeth. Sound good?
What’s even better is that Mini Pop is made from natural ingredients, is gluten-free, dairy-free and suitable for vegans, allergen-free and is easier to digest. At around 120 calories per pack, these little bags of goodness make them a great snack and are kid friendly too – Thomas can’t enough of the stuff!
Using the Toffee one [gifted], I fancied creating a recipe that would compliment the flavour – so of course, caramel had to be involved! These easy to make, no bake, healthy tarts would make an ideal summer dessert and can be made ahead to save time faffing around in the kitchen on a hot day. Banana, date caramel, toffee popcorn…What more could you want?
For the base –
- 100g rolled oats (I used Quaker Oats)
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds [optional] (I used Buy Wholefoods Online sunflower seeds)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 1 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter (I used Meridian)
- 2 tablespoons maple or date syrup (I used Beloved Dates)
For the date caramel –
- 150g dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes (I used Whitworths)
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter or tahini
- Pinch of salt
- Thick natural yogurt or coconut yogurt (I used Coyo)
- Dried banana slices
- Drizzle of maple or date syrup
- Popcorn Shed Mini Toffee Popcorn kernels
- First make the base: Place the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until combined and the mixture sticks together.
- Divide between 4 individual loose bottomed tart tins (or one big one) and press across the bottom and up the sides of each. Set aside.
- Place the dates into your blender/food processor along with 2 tablespoons of the soaking water plus the tahini or nut butter and salt. Blend well until thick and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between them and spread evenly. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Top each with a spoonful of yogurt and sprinkle over some dried banana pieces, drizzle with date nectar and top with popcorn. Enjoy!