It’s been an eventful Bank Holiday weekend so far: Thanks to James winning us entry, food and a £100 bar tab at the fantastic Friday Food Fight at Upper Campfield Market, we spent the night with friends enjoying amazing food and watching competitors battle it out in eating competitions while drinking too many Pomegranate Daiquiris. Saturday was an enjoyable day with my friend Louise, enjoying the Manchester spring sunshine at Australasia’s sister venue, Grand Pacific, followed by a crazy night at Sankeys where Defected Records brought Sam Divine, Noir and Guti.
Get your bake on!
This is why today has been a pretty chilled out day. I had the random urge to do some baking – something healthy but comforting and satisfying. Being a wheat intolerant health junkie, I rarely eat cake or biscuit alternatives but I fancied the idea of a banana and blueberry combination, with the addition or protein-packed almonds and nutritious flaxseeds. So, here we go, here’s how my creation went – feel free to adapt the recipe how you want it and let me know your verdict if you give it a go!
- 2 cups Doves Farm gluten-free plain flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 dessert spoons of stevia
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 1 sachet Linwoods Flaxseed mix
- 2 x eggs
- 2 tbsp Quark
- A dash of almond/hazelnut milk
- Small pack of blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. In a bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, stevia and flaxseeds.
- Whisk together the eggs with the Quark, milk and essence. Pour into the bowl and mix well, then stir in the mashed bananas. Finally mix in the blueberries.
- Grease a baking tray then pour in the mixture, spreading evenly. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and a nice golden brown colour. Remove from oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes then cut into squares…and enjoy, guilt-free!