With summer in full flow (albeit a typical British one – hello umbrellas!), this recipe combines strawberries, chocolate and mint – a winner of a taste sensation. High in protein thanks to PhD Nutrition, gluten-free, no added sugar and packed with healthy fats, this might seem like a strange but magical mixture that combines while baking to result in a deliciously moist, rich and indulgent fudge-like texture.
Serve with fat-free Greek yogurt for a totally #IndulgingInnocently treat or dessert.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 scoops PhD Nutrition Choc Mint diet whey protein powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (I used Kaizen Living)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Truvia stevia (or other natural sweetener)
- 300ml skimmed or almond milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee)
- 200g fresh strawberries (make sure they aren’t too soft!), sliced in half
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and only very lightly grease a baking tray. There is no need to line it with greaseproof paper!
- Mix together the buckwheat flour, protein powder, cacao powder, Truvia sweetener and baking powder in large bowl, making sure there are no lumps.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pan on a low heat and set aside.
- Pour the milk into the large bowl and whisk well until you have a thick, smooth consistency.
- This is the strange part, but trust me, it’s magic…Pour the coconut oil into the baking tray. Now carefully pour in the chocolate batter but don’t stir – carefully push to the sides and corners so the base is completely covered.
- Scatter over the strawberries evenly and push in slightly, then bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. You should have a brownie-like mixture that is risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave for half an hour, then slice into 12 generous chunks. Now you can either enjoy while warm and fudgey, or leave to cool and firm up slightly.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container – that is, if they can last that long.