Christmas is a time for sharing – especially when it comes to sharing the love, and what better way to do this than with baking? The main reason I enjoy this time of year is because it brings family and friends together, celebrating and sharing experiences, laughs and quality time as well as presents. With that in mind, in collaboration with Whitworths, I was challenged to create a recipe using their wonderful dried fruits and nuts that would be ideal for sharing with loved ones, which is why these easy to make, no need to bake bites are perfect!
With a base made from oats, nuts and mixed spice for that festive touch, a raw chocolate topping is finished off with a mixture of dried fruits, seeds and other goodies to make each bite look (almost!) too beautiful to eat and certainly more like a special treat to indulge in! What’s better is that these are dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan (just leave out the bee pollen) and contain no refined sugar – but plenty of taste! Enjoy 🙂
For the base –
- 100g Whitworths Walnuts
- 100g almonds
- 100g rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice or cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or date nectar (I used Beloved)
For the topping –
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used The Coconut Company)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 50g dark chocolate (I used Montezuma’s)
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder (I used Indigo Herbs)
To decorate –
2 tablespoons each of:
- Whitworths Pumpkin Seeds
- Whitworths Chopped Dried Apricots
- Whitworths Chopped Dates
- Whitworths Sultanas
- Whitworths Flaked Almonds
- Cacao nibs
- Freeze-dried raspberries (I used Lio Licious)
- Bee pollen
- Gold sugar sprinkles
- Make the base: Place the oats and nuts in a food processor and blend until broken down. Add in the mixed spice, almond butter and honey/syrup and blend again until the mixture comes together. Tip into a lined 15cm x 20cm lined tin and press down evenly using your hands. Chill while you make the topping.
- Gently melt the topping ingredients then pour over the base and smooth over evenly.
- Now add your sprinkles! Scatter over the top evenly to cover the chocolate. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- When ready to enjoy, pop out of the tin, cut into pieces and share with your loved one(s).
I made these for my parents when they came over recently. They’re staying for Christmas which I can’t wait for; they do so much for me and my family, Thomas absolutely adores them, they are the most supportive and thoughtful couple I know and very lucky to have them in my life. Get involved in this Whitworths campaign yourself – post a recipe on Instagram or make something for someone and share the love on social media by tagging your friends and use the hashtags #whitworths and #sharethelove.