When it comes to Christmas, combinations like chocolate, spices, walnuts and pretzels are exactly what this season is calling for! These simple but effective – and simply divine – bars are layered up with an oaty ‘biscuit’ base, a rich nut butter caramel and topped with spiced chocolate, sprinkled with salty pretzels and crunchy walnuts. They can be made ahead so would make ideal gifts to make for others, or how about get them ready for the main day as a sweet treat in between all the presents?
For the base –
- 100g oats
- 80g gluten-free flour
- 80g sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons oat milk
For the pretzel walnut caramel –
- 3 tablespoons nut butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50g salted pretzels, broken up into pieces
- 50g walnut pieces
For the spiced chocolate topping –
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 100g spiced dark chocolate (I used Ombar)
- Extra walnuts, pretzels and cacao nibs, to decorate
1) First mix together the base ingredients until the mixture comes together and forms a dough/flapjack mixture.
2) Press into the base of a greased and lined 9x9in baking tin then set aside.
3) Place the nut butter, coconut sugar and water in a pan and heat on low until the mixture bubbles, stirring well. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts, pretzels and cinnamon.
4) Spoon this over the base and spread out evenly. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes until golden and nicely caramelised, then leave to cool completely,
5) Heat the coconut oil and chocolate, then pour over the caramel layer to cover well. Sprinkle over extra pretzels, cacao nibs and walnuts, then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour for the chocolate to set.
6) Cut into bars and enjoy!