Mint chocolate. Seriously one of life’s best inventions. And guess what, with this recipe you can enjoy this delicious, indulgent combination but without the guilt! Using Kaizen Living’s organic wheatgrass powder makes these tasty treats that bit more nutritious, alongside dates, oats and a cheeky dairy-free coconut based filling. Although still a little naughty, these are much better than grabbing a sugar-laden Aero bar!
Tartlet cases –
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon caramel extract
- 1-2 tbsp Sweet Freedom/honey/agave syrup
Peppermint cream filling –
- 1 can coconut milk (left in the fridge for at least 2 days beforehand)
- 2-3 tbsp Kaizen Living wheatgrass powder
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ cup natural sweetener
Chocolate frosting –
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp Sweet Freedom/honey/agave syrup
- First make your tartlet cases. Put the oats in a food processor and blend until you get a flour texture. Add the dates, caramel extract and Sweet Freedom and pulse until the mixture sticks together. Divide into 5-6 and press into a cupcake tin, making sure it goes up the side and you leave a generous hole. Chill in the fridge.
- Now make your peppermint cream. Scrape the hardened coconut cream from the tin (discard the water) and place into a blender along with the other ingredients. Whizz up so you have a thick, creamy mixture. Spoon this into the tartlet cases (you may have some peppermint cream left over!) and return to the fridge.
- Heat the coconut oil and Sweet Freedom in a small pan, remove from the heat then stir in the cacao powder to make sure there are no lumps. Pour a little over each tartlet and swirl it into your peppermint cream mixture to create a swirled effect. It doesn’t matter if it overflows.
- When prepared, place in the freezer for at least 1 hour before enjoying. If you’re making them well in advance, remove from the freezer about 10 minutes before so they soften a little and are easier to release from the cupcake tins. Enjoy!