Since taking home a wonderful, robust blender from the Ninja Kitchen Smoothie Wars the other event, I’ve been able to step up my recipe experiments thanks to the powerfulness of the Nutri Ninja gadget. Months ago, the fabulous Samantha Hadadi, who is constantly inspiring me with her amazing clean eating creations, kindly shared a guest recipe post on my blog for her healthy, protein alternative to Nutella – yes, that’s right, a guilt-free version of the heavenly hazelnut chocolate paste.
I was finally able to give this recipe a go using my Nutri Ninja, hardwearing enough to blitz some whole (skinless) roasted hazelnuts then gradually adding the other ingredients in to make a fantastic, fresh batch of this nutty sweet treat. The only thing I changed in Sam’s recipe was using PhD Nutrition Vanilla whey protein in place of chocolate flavour powder, to add a ‘creamier’ taste rather than rich chocolate, just as it’s personal preference.
As well as using this delicious chocolatey spread on protein pancakes and swirled into natural yogurt along with fresh berries, I wanted to bake something to make use of its drool-inducing flavours. What goes well with chocolate and nuts? BANANA, of course! By simply blending most of your homemade Nutella with some bananas, eggs, coconut flour and a few other ingredients, you’re left with these moist, moreish treats – which again, are free from nasty ingredients and satisfy a sweet tooth the innocent way!
- ¾ of a batch of Sam’s protein Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup of stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2-3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2-3 tbsp hazelnut or almond milk
Glaze: 3-4 tbsp Sweet Freedom mixed with 2 tbsp cacao powder OR just some Choc Shot!
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Grease 6 large muffin tins with coconut oil.
- Simply put all of you ingredients into a blender and whizz up until you have a smooth mixture – if it’s too thick add a little more milk; if it’s too runny, add a bit more coconut flour.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are risen and golden. Remove from oven, leave for 10 mins then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, simply drizzle your Sweet Freedom mixture or Choc Shot over your muffins then enjoy!