The time when we are faced with so much chocolate and sweet treats, Easter doesn’t have to mean an overload of sugar, fat and calories! I spotted a cute egg mold in good old Home Bargains for 99p and wanted to create some of my own, healthier, higher protein chocolates, made using unrefined ingredients.
So here we go, using Monkey Nutrition’s Primal24 Whey Protein Concentrate plus a super simple raw chocolate mixture and a cheeky sprinkling of almonds and ginger chunks, these delicious and indulgent eggs are sure to go down a treat without making those glucose levels dive up and down too drastically!
Let me just mention some of the benefits of this superior grade whey protein concentrate, an abundant source of BCAAs and essential amino acids while offering a great creamy taste. Primal24 is derived from the highest quality whey protein concentrate available, providing a substantial and cost effective source of protein per 30g scoop (24g protein), which is low in fat and aspartame free. Higher calibre processing prevents any denaturing and retains an exceptional percentage of sub-fractions and minor peptides, allowing for a much more biologically active product. In addition, our flavouring system is second to none and taste is never compromised!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup Sweet Freedom (or honey or agave syrup)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder (I used Kaizen Living)
- 1 scoop Monkey Nutrition Primal24 Whey Protein Concentrate (Velvet Chocolate flavour)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp crystalised ginger, broken up into very small chunks
- Put the coconut oil and Sweet Freedom in a small pan and melt gently on a low heat, then remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Using a 6-cup (in the shape of Easter eggs, if you can!) silicone mold, divide the flaked almonds and ginger pieces between them.
- Now whisk in the cacao powder and and protein powder into the coconut oil mixture – be careful that the mixture doesn’t go grainy, it should be fine if the it isn’t too hot and ‘cooking’ the protein powder.
- Pour into each mold so the almonds and ginger pieces are covered and the chocolate mixture reaches the top of each mold. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set.
- When you’re ready to serve and need a chocolate fix, simply pop however many eggs out of the mold and leave at room temperature for a few minutes, then enjoy!
Buy Monkey Nutrition Primal24 Whey Protein Concentrate here. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube too!