If you’re a lover of the traditional Christmas Cake or just fancy trying something a bit different, these festive no bake bites are sure to be a hit. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and with no refined sugar – made from dried fruits, spices and nuts – these really are a taste of Christmas. Make ahead a week before so on the day, you can pop them out the freezer and serve as an after dinner treat – simples!
For the Christmas Cake –
- 200g Medjool dates, pitted (I got mine from Booths)
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (I used Meridian)
- 200g nuts (walnuts, almonds, Brazils, pecans – your choice!)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 carrots, grated (or use apples)
For the raw marzipan –
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Meridian)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
Dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds, to decorate
- Place the dates, dried fruit, almond butter, nuts, spices, orange zest and vanilla in a food processor (I used my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja) or powerful blender and whizz up for a good minute to allow all the ingredients to break down and come together.
- Add the grated carrots and whizz again to combine.
- Remove the mixture and divide into 10-12, rolling each into a ball and placing on a lined baking sheet/tray or large tupperware box. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile make the marzipan: Simply mix the ingredients together to form a dough-like consistency.
- Remove the base mixture and spread a layer of this evenly over the top – I used my fingers! Return to the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Pop out the freezer and slice into squares. Decorate each with a few cranberries and pumpkin seeds – now enjoy straight away!
Keep any remaining squares in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.