It’s officially porridge season – colder, darker mornings call for something warmer, filling and nutritious to kick off the day, and porridge is the ideal thing! However you choose to serve it, and what goes in or on top of that bowl, is totally down to you – whatever you go for, there are countless possibilities to make it something special.
Bananas with a hint of cinnamon, caramelised in coconut sugar for extra sweetness, partnered with rich dark chocolate and creamy nut butter, with the crunch of cacao nibs come together to form my favourite combo in this easy recipe!
- 50g porridge oats (I used Mornflake)
- 300ml milk of choice (I used Alpro)
For the caramelised banana –
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (I used The Coconut Company)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (I used Buy Wholefoods Online)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A spoonful of nut butter (I used Jake’s Boost Banana Boost Nut Butter)
- A few squares of dark chocolate (I used Raw Halo Dark & Salted Caramel vegan chocolate
- Cacao nibs
- Drizzle of maple syrup
- Put the oats in a pan with the milk and simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened, stirring regularly. Or place the oats and milk in a microwave-proof bowl and microwave for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through then stand for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the banana slices, coconut sugar and cinnamon and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Place the porridge in a bowl then arrange the banana slices around the edge. Add a couple of chunks of dark chocolate while the porridge is still hot then add some nut butter, sprinkle over cacao nibs and add a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!