I was challenged by the lovely people at The Groovy Food Company to re-create one of their favourite recipes – these Vegan Almond Butter Brownies – so of course I was happy to give them a whirl! I’ve edited the original recipe slightly (see edits below with an *) but was really happy with the result, dense but chewy brownie slices with the most delicious fudgey rich topping.
I didn’t have almond butter to hand so I used peanut butter, which tasted just as delicious and I’m sure you could use whatever nut butter you have in your cupboards. I thought I’d bake the recipe in a round tin to make it feel like a special chocolate brownie cake – it really does feel like a special treat!
For the brownies –
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed + 4 tablespoons water* (I used Linwoods)
- 45g The Groovy Food Company coconut oil, melted
- 60g almond or peanut butter*
- 100g The Groovy Food Company coconut sugar
- 250ml oat milk (I used Oatly)
- 30g The Groovy Food Company coconut flour
- 25g ground almonds (I used Whitworths)
- 35g cocoa or cacao powder (I used Bioglan)
For the topping –
- 3 tablespoons The Groovy Food Company coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons almond or peanut butter*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 9x9in baking tin.
- Mix together the flaxseed and water and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the oil, nut butter and coconut sugar in a bowl and mix to combine, then add the flaxseed mixture and milk and mix again.
- Add the coconut flour, ground almonds and cacao powder and mix until everything is combined. Pour into the tin, smooth out evenly and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm then leave to cool.
- Meanwhile beat together the topping ingredients and pour over the cooled brownie. Add a couple of extra spoonfuls of nut butter and swirl in. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the topping to set.
- Remove from the tin, slice into 8-10 pieces and enjoy!