Another recipe in collaboration with Wing Yip, we’re still hoping to inspire more of you to get baking following National Baking Week (14 – 20th October) and of course, thanks to the ever-popular TV series, Great British Bake Off – let’s get those aprons on!
Following my delicious Caramel Spiced Apple Cake recipe, this one uses Nature’s Charm’s coconut whipping cream and wonderful matcha coconut sauce which let me tell you, is absolutely exquisite! I’m not the biggest matcha fan to be honest but this is sweet enough to balance the bitter taste. And with both ingredients working together the the lighter coconut and banana flavours, these vegan-friendly donuts are ideal for a treat with a cuppa (or matcha latte if you want to go all out!).
- 2 bananas
- 150ml almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed + 4 tablespoons water (I used Linwoods)
- 150g flour of choice (I used Doves Farm gluten-free)
- 100g coconut sugar (I used Buy Wholefoods Online coconut sugar)
- 3 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the topping –
- 1 x can Nature’s Charm Whipping Coconut Cream (from Wing Yip)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons Nature’s Charm Matcha Coconut Sauce (from Wing Yip)
- Dried banana slices
- Coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 170C and grease a 6-hole donut tin.
- Place the bananas, milk and vanilla in a blender and whizz up until smooth (I used my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja) – or just mash the bananas well and whisk with the milk and vanilla. Mix together the flaxseed and water, leave to stand for 5 minutes then add to it.
- Mix together the flour, coconut sugar, matcha powder and baking powder in a bowl then pour in the wet ingredients – mix well to form a batter.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the mixture into the donut rings to fill to the top of each. Bake for 15-20 minutes until firmed and risen. Leave to cool then pop out.
- Chill the coconut cream overnight, then scrape out the solid part of the cream and into a bowl. Use an electric whisk to whip up for 2-3 minutes then add the maple syrup last – it should be thick but still spreadable.
- Spoon some of the coconut cream on top of each donut. Add a dash of boiling water to the matcha caramel sauce to loosen a little then drizzle over each. Decorate with a banana piece and some coconut chips and you’re ready to enjoy!