With all of Kaizen Living’s superfoods looking so wonderful in colour, I wanted to make some muffins that were vibrant, colourful and a little bit different; a sweet snack that was full of vitamins, nutrients and goodness. So, with blended beetroot in this low carb, gluten-free mixture and an amazing green/turquoise ‘icing’ made using spirulina and low-fat creme fraiche, the result is just what I was aiming for!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup natural sweetener
- 200g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot, rinsed
- 4 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat creme fraiche
- 1-2 tsp Kaizen Living spirulina powder
- 1-2 tbsp natural sweetener
For this, simply mix together well in a bowl and leave in the fridge until needed.
- For the muffins, put all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Put the beetroot in a blender and whiz up until smooth. Pour this into the bowl along with the eggs, milk, vanilla and coconut oil, beating well until thoroughly combined.
- Grease 6 muffin tins and preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Spoon the batter into the tins then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and risen – they will be a nice pink colour! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- When ready to serve, top with the ‘icing’ which, if left in the fridge for a while, will have turned a wonderful turquoise colour, as you can see! Now enjoy!
Have you seen my other healthy recipes using Kaizen Living superfoods? Check them out!