Protein pancakes are one of my absolute favourite breakfast or brunch options on a weekend when I have more time after a workout. Easy to make with just a few ingredients, these chocolate ones are ideal for satisfying a sweet tooth thanks to adding some Kaizen Living cacao powder, while still being very nutritious and healthy! Served with a tasty berry ‘jam’ using chia seeds, this is sure to set you up for the day!
Ingredients (to serve one hungry person!)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (I used PhD Nutrition diet White Chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1-2 tbsp Kaizen Living cacao powder
- 1 dessert spoon buckwheat flour
- Coconut oil, for cooking (I used Lucy Bee)
Chia berry jam:
- 50g frozen berries
- 2 tbsp Kaizen Living chia seeds
- 1 tbsp stevia or honey
- Prepare your chia jam by simply putting the frozen berries in a small pan with about 2 tbsp water. Bring to the boil, stir in the chia seeds and stevia or honey, and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes, allowing the chia seeds to soak up the liquid to form a jam texture.
- Mash the banana and place in a bowl, then add the eggs, protein powder, buckwheat flour and cacao powder. Whisk well so you have a thick batter.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan and use kitchen roll to wipe around the base so you don’t need to use as much. Keeping it on a high heat, add two spoons into the pan at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then gently flip over using a plastic fish slice and fork.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used up (this batch should make about 6 in total), then serve with the chia berry jam and some natural yogurt if you like!
PS. Have you seen the awesome, brand-spanking new website? Go check it out here and make sure you’re following them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! #KeepItKaizen