Sometimes you just can’t beat a warming, comforting apple crumble while we’re still in the colder months. Although associated with being high in fat, carbs and sugar, this oat-based crumble is still as robust and delicious but much healthier, and makes the ideal topping for cinnamon-coated apple and pear slices – YUM! With the addition of Hale Naturals PPB in the mixture, this adds a wonderful nutty taste as well as boosting the protein content, but without adding too many calories. Winner!
- 1 can of unsweetened cooked apple slices
- 3 large pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pinch of cinnamon and a sprinkling of stevia, to sweeten
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp Hale Naturals PPB (sweetened with stevia)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp walnut pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Few tsp of stevia, to sweeten
- 2-3 tsp coconut oil (solid; at room temperature – I used Lucy Bee)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and ensure you have a pie dish ready.
- Place the apple and pear slices in the dish, then sprinkle over the cinnamon and stevia and mix well.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, PPB, coconut flour, walnuts, cinnamon and stevia and give it a good mix. Now add small chunks of the coconut oil and rub in the mixture so you have a crumble like texture.
- Spoon this evenly over the fruit, making sure it is all covered, and place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the crumble is golden brown. Remove from the oven and either eat straight away or leave to cool down, the choice is yours. Coconut cream or natural yogurt would work wonderfully served alongside it!