As my regular readers know, I love creating moist, tasty but healthy sponge-based recipes, whether in the form of a cake, muffins or slices. I attempt to make them as low carb and low sugar as possible, with a high protein focus thanks to PhD Nutrition & PhD Woman, and this recipe was inspired by this concept, but is totally gluten-free flour free and made from a surprisingly simple mixture.
Delicious, super easy and made from totally clean ingredients, you wouldn’t believe these pomegranate infused slices are made from…butter beans! But seriously, give the recipe a go and see for yourself how versatile the pulses can be!
- 1 x can butter beans, drained well and patted dry
- 2 eggs
- 2 scoops PhD Woman Vanilla Creme Exercise Support whey protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
- ½ can cooked, unsweetened apple slices
- 4 tbsp natural sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g pomegranate seeds
To decorate: Sweet Freedom (or honey, agave syrup, coconut nectar) and flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and grease a 21cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- This is the easy part – simply add everything apart from the pomegranate seeds to a large, high power blender and whizz up for a few minutes until completely smooth. You may need to take the lid off and mix a few times to make sure it is all blended – it should be thick!
- Now mix in the pomegranate seeds and spoon into the prepared cake tin, spreading out evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen, golden and firm. Leave to cool in the tin about half an hour, then slice into 8-10 (depending how generous you want your slices!).
- Now enjoy either warm or once cooled, with a little Sweet Freedom (or alternative) drizzled over and flaked almonds scattered on top.