Apples, walnuts and mixed spices – ahhh, hello autumn! Just one of the many reasons I love this time of year, anything that combines these flavours is an ultimate winner. These delicious high protein muffins are topped with homemade caramelised, crunchy walnuts which believe me, really finishes these slightly more indulgent baked treats perfectly! Enjoy…
Ingredients (makes 12):
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 scoops PhD Woman Vanilla Creme Exercise Support protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
- 1 can unsweetened cooked apples (I get them from Tesco)
- ¼ cup date nectar (I used Beloved)
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
For the topping:
- ½ cup walnut halves or pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp date nectar
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease and line a muffin tin (silicone is best to prevent sticking!).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, protein powder, baking powder and spices. Stir in the grated apple to coat with the mixture so it doesn’t go brown.
- Blend the eggs, cooked apple slices, coconut oil and date nectar until smooth. Pour this into the bowl and fold in, making sure you have an even, thick batter-like texture.
- Spoon into your muffin tins, then bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the walnut topping. Place in a small pan with the coconut oil and date nectar and cook on a medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring well as they begin to caramelise. Keep an eye on them though so they don’t burn! Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Now spoon a couple of walnut pieces on your muffins and leave for a little longer to allow them to ‘stick’ on top. Now you’re ready to enjoy!
Here’s a little video I did on Instagram to show you the process!