This weekend I’m in London with two of my wonderful clients, Kaizen Living and Vivo Life, sharing a stand at Natural & Organics Show at the Excel. I’ll be there with some healthy, raw, vegan-friendly, superfood-packed treats:
Having spent the day making up as many batches as I can possibly pack up and take down with me for the two-day show, I actually decided last minute to make a batch of one of my most recent recipes which I’m pretty dam proud of – these healthier, vegan Toffee Crisp Bars!! Using Kaizen Living chia seeds and cacao powder in the mix, these are pretty special – and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share the recipe here!
If you’re at the show this weekend, be sure to come and say hi (and of course, sample these treats – if there are any left!) at stand L30-9!
For the toffee crisp part –
- 3-4 cups unsweetened puffed brown rice crispies
- 2 tablespoons Kaizen Living Chia Seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons lucuma powder
- ½ cup maple or brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon salted caramel or vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
For the chocolate topping –
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee)
- 3-4 tablespoons Kaizen Living cacao powder
- First make the base: Mix together the puffed brown rice, chia seeds, coconut and lucuma powder in a large bowl.
- Place your chosen syrup in a small pan and bring just to the boil, until it starts to bubble. Remove from the heat then stir in the vanilla or salted caramel extract, sea salt and tahini.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix well, so everything combines and sticks together. Add more puffed rice if the mixture seems too ‘wet’.
- Now spoon this mixture into a prepared tin lined with greaseproof paper – I used a loaf tin for thicker slices, but you can use a brownie tin if you want, it’s up to you! Press the mixture down firmly and leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and chosen syrup in a small pan, then remove from the heat and whisk in the cacao powder until smooth.
- Pour this over the puffed rice mixture, spread evenly then place back in the fridge for another 2 hours at least, to set.
- Carefully remove the whole bar and transfer to a chopped board. Slice up into bars, squares or bites – then enjoy! Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.