As part of the #SwearByIt campaign hosted by Vita Coco & Vita Coco Coconut Oil, I was recently invited down to their Coconut Grove event in Spinningfields, Manchester. In typical British summer style, the rain poured…and poured, but this didn’t stop us having fun.
Joined by fellow foodies and bloggers, The Healthy Beard, Katie Franklin and Sarah Thain, we indulged in halloumi fries with Zaatar, pomegranate and mint cooked up by street food superstars, KERB, whilst being entertained by a DJ blasting out Brazilian beats and fun coconut-themed games. Drinking an energising bullet proof coffee (thanks to speciality coffee experts, Noble Espresso) and sipping on Vita Coco coconut water (my favourite is the Peach & Mango one – so refreshing!) before taking advantage of the Selfie GIF Booth, it was fair to say the rain didn’t dampen our spirits!
Now onto my challenge: I was tasked with creating an original, summer-themed and wheat-free recipe using the extra virgin, 100% raw and cold-pressed organic Vita Coco Coconut Oil. As many may know, I ADORE using coconut oil and is an essential when it comes to healthy baking and cooking, so this was rather fitting for my blog!
In keeping with the tropical vibes, I created this deliciously moist and light Mango, Coconut & Pomegranate Sponge packed full of fruit, no refined sugar and only a little fat, showing you can enjoy a treat in the garden without ruining your summer body efforts. Enjoy!
- 1 x can mango slices in juice, drained*
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup mango chunks, cut into bitesize pieces
- Coconut chips and 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line a deep square baking tin.
- *If the mango slices are in syrup, rinse well and drain to remove the added sugars. Pat the mango slices dry and place in a blender along with the eggs, coconut oil, lime, vanilla extract and coconut milk. Whizz up until thick and smooth.
- Mix together the flours, coconut and coconut sugar in a bowl, then stir in the mango puree mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the mango chunks.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared baking tin and spread out evenly. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds on top.
- Bake for a total of about 30-40 minutes (cover halfway through with foil to prevent the coconut chips from burning) until slightly golden, risen and cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 30 minutes, then slice into 9-12 squares. Enjoy straight away or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Delicious chilled too!
Note: This is sponsored post in partnership with Vita Coco / Vita Coco Coconut Oil. All views are my own.