Calling all the granola lovers out there – this post is for you, especially if you’re keen to stay on the healthy eating path throughout January and beyond. While many brands out there cram their granola with added sugars, preservatives and other unnecessary ingredients, Rollagranola make it their mission to ‘break away from mass-produced cheap food, to offer our customers granola with a high nut and fruit content, direct from the manufacturer’.
With unique and interesting flavours to suit all tastes, the brand only use natural ingredients while many are gluten-free, paleo friendly and contain no refined sugar. Last year I worked with them to create some healthy recipes using some of their popular varieties – and this time I’m sharing their January limited edition vegan, gluten and cereal-free Caveman’s Detox Granola.
- Whole apple
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Cashew nuts
- Brazil nuts
- Coconut oil
- Pomegranate molasses
- Matcha tea (0.5%)
- Pink Himalayan salt
So what are my thoughts? Apple, ginger and walnut is one of my favourite combinations, so naturally I fell in love with it. I hate it when granola is too sugary or powdery like sawdust; this one is packed with flavour (you can’t taste the spinach but it’s a genius way to sneak some veggies in!) without being too sweet and is chunky, crunchy and substantial – just how granola should be. Don’t be put off by the ‘detox’ label, the ingredients have been chosen to create a high antioxidant, energising blend bursting with nutrients to kickstart your day.
As well as just snacking on it straight from the pack (be careful with portion control though; while it’s made from healthy ingredients, it is predominantly made from calorific nuts!), I loved sprinkling this on top of natural yogurt served with berries. I also decided to incorporate the granola into these healthy breakfast muffins based on some of the key ingredients – it makes the ideal crunchy topping! Enjoy.
- 1 cup rolled oats (I used Quaker gluten-free)
- ½ cup almond flour (I used Sukrin) or ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds (I used Linwoods)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened apple puree
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Medjool dates, stoned
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (or maple syrup)
- 6 tablespoons RollaGranola Detox granola
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and lightly grease 6 muffin tins with a little coconut oil.
- Place the oats, almond flour, flaxseeds, cinnamon, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in a food processor and whizz up so the oats have formed a flour.
- Now add the apple puree, almond milk, vanilla, dates and pomegranate molasses and whizz up again for a good minute until smooth – you should have a batter texture.
- Spoon this between the muffin tins to reach the top, then sprinkle over the RollaGranola on top of each one.
- Bake for a total of 20-25 minutes (cover halfway through with foil to prevent burning) until risen and golden. They will still be a little soft but will firm up while cooling.
- Leave in the tin to cool then pop out. Now enjoy!
Keep any remaining muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This variety of granola is an exclusive launch for January only so don’t miss out – grab yours over here!