You may have seen my post mentioning Strong Roots, whose mission is to ‘revolutionise frozen food’. The award-winning brand has just launched in the UK in Waitrose and Whole Foods Market with its innovative, delicious and nutritious range of vegetables and veggie meals, aimed at those wanting to eat healthily but are short of time.
If you’re an avocado lover, you’ll be jumping for joy – the hassle of having unripe or overripe avocados are over! These Ripened Avocado Halves are pitted and and freshly frozen, which means there’s always the ideal avocado in the kitchen. Its versatility means it can be added to smoothies to create that creamy consistency, whipped up instantly for guacamole and even blended with pesto for a pasta sauce.
I thought I’d go down the sweet route (obviously) and thought I’d try out making some brownies. BROWNIES WITH AVOCADO?! Trust me, even if you’re not a fan of them you can’t taste them at all – they just offer the most awesome, squidgy texture – just how brownies should be. Adding walnuts gives a nice little crunch; feel free to add other nuts if you want. I’m definitely making these bad boys again soon!
- 2 large ripe avocados, skin and pit removed (I used 4 x Strong Roots avocado halves, defrosted)
- 50g stevia (I used Natvia)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 2 eggs
- 150ml natural yogurt (from Creamline Dairies)
- 150ml almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g brown rice flour (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 4 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder (I used Lucy Bee)
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I used Vega Essentials)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C and lighly grease and line a 9x9in baking tin.
- Place the avocado, maple syrup and sweetener/stevia in a food processor and blend well for a few minutes until completely smooth.
Add the eggs, vanilla and almond milk and whizz up again.
- Now add the flour, cacao/cocoa powder, protein powder and baking powder and blend again until combined – it should be quite thick and smooth. Stir in the walnuts.
- Spoon into your prepared tin and smooth out evenly. Bake for 25 minutes until firm but still a little soft. Leave to cool in the tin then remove – and enjoy!
Strong Roots Ripened Frozen Avocado Halves (RRP £5.29) are available at Whole Foods Market. Follow on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram 🙂