I’m sure many of us are keen to hunt down quick, convenient and healthy foods when time is short but we still want to eat well. Although I’m not usually one for ‘convenience foods, when award-winning brand Strong Roots got in touch with their mission to ‘revolutionise frozen food’, I was intrigued.
Having just launched in the UK at Waitrose and Whole Foods Market with its innovative, delicious and nutritious range of vegetables and veggie meals, Strong Roots was created to help those with busy lifestyles cut corners in the kitchen and enjoy healthy food easily.
The range includes Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Kale & Quinoa Burgers, Ripened Avocado Halves and Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes which are a great source of fibre, vegan friendly, have no artificial flavours and are perfect whether they are enjoyed on their own or part of a balanced meal. The vegetables are frozen from the moment they are picked to guarantee freshness and ensure nutrients are not lost in transportation, which is certainly a tick box for me.
Made using the best varieties of the humble root vegetable from the best growers of sweet potato in the world, the Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries have been specially produced with a gluten-free rice flour batter to give a firm and crispy texture to coat the delicious sweetness of each one. I can’t tell you how pleased I was; most frozen sweet potato fries come with a wheat coating so FINALLY, I’m able to enjoy them!
Of course, I had to serve them loaded up with a vegetable and bean-packed chilli and baked with some cheese for a feast – feel free to use normal beef mince but I prefer Quorn at the moment. Ideal to make for family or friends for a hearty dinner!
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
For the chilli –
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Large pinch of chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 300g Quorn mince
- 1 x pack passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 x can kidney beans
- 1 x small can sweetcorn
- ½ pack Strong Roots sweet potato fries
- 50g grated cheese
- First make the chilli: Heat a little water in large pan then throw in all the vegetables along with the garlic, spices, herbs, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes to soften
- Stir in the Quorn, mix well to coat, then pour in the passata, tomato puree, kidney beans and sweetcorn. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bake the according to packet instructions then transfer to a baking dish.
- Spoon over the chilli then top with the cheese. Return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Now dish up and enjoy!