Well it’s officially the last day of summer. WHAT THE. And yes I say ‘summer’ lightly; we’ve had the odd sunny day here and there, I’m hoping September might treat us to slightly nicer weather! So I thought it would be appropriate to post my last summer themed recipe of this year before we head into autumn – let me introduce this delicious creamy cheesecake, packed full of fruit and with a hint of vanilla custard. Yep that’s right, adding custard powder gives this dairy-free, gluten-free treat a wonderfully thick texture and adds a nice colour to compliment the strawberries and nectarines. Enjoy!
For the base –
- 100g rolled oats (I used Quaker – can be gluten-free)
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used The Coconut Company)
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (I used Jake’s Boost)
For the cheesecake –
- 300g Alpro Vanilla soya yogurt (or other yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- 50ml dairy-free milk (I used Alpro cashew)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large nectarine, chopped (from Creamline Dairies)
- Large handful of strawberries, halved (from Creamline Dairies)
To glaze (optional) –
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam (can be no added sugar – I use Tesco’s own brand)
- Flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed round tin.
- First make the base: Mix together the oats and ground almonds in a bowl. Gently melt the honey or maple syrup, coconut oil and nut butter then stir into the dry ingredients. Tip this into the tin and press evenly across the base to cover. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the yogurt with the eggs, milk, maple syrup or honey, custard powder and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Remove the base from the oven and pour over half of the custard mixture. Scatter over half of the fruit, pour over the remaining custard part and finish with a layer of the rest of the fruit.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and firm. Leave to cool completely then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, remove from the tin and slice up. Mix the jam with a splash of hot water to make it slightly runny then drizzle over, scatter over almonds and enjoy!