The other day I was thinking of what I could make Tom for a dessert that was easy and simple to make and uses ingredients we’d most likely have in. He absolutely loves bread and and bananas then I realised – BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING! I’ve always thought of it as a strange pudding to be honest as it’s essentially very stodgy but as something to feed my highly active baby, it seemed perfect!
He’s nearly reached the 10 month mark and has become more fussy when it comes to mealtimes which I haven’t been expecting; he wants to feed himself and isn’t as interested in the healthy meals I’ve cooked up and pureed. So with that in mind, that’s another reason why I wanted to make sure that what he IS eating is substantial and almost a meal in itself as there’s only so much savoury things he’ll actually eat himself. This is perfect!
As with the other recipes I’ve shared recently as part of Tom’s weaning journey, I haven’t used sugar (or at least any refined sugar, and very little); instead this is naturally sweetened with banana and cinnamon. Combined with bread, the milk and eggs provide important protein, vitamins and minerals plus the butter or margarine contains fats which your baby requires. While white bread is very refined, wholemeal may be a bit too fibrous so maybe try using those ‘best of both’ loaves in the supermarket. I’m wheat intolerant myself but Tom is fine with normal bread so I just used that. Feel free to add dried fruit like sultanas or chopped dates if your baby is bit older – this is a basic recipe to play around with, enjoy!
- 5 slices of any bread
- Butter or margarine
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 500ml whole or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190 C and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Butter 5 slices of bread and cut in half. Arrange one layer of bread in the bottom of the dish then scatter over one of the bananas, sliced up.
- Layer the rest of the bread on top to cover, then arrange the other banana slices on top.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, spices and vanilla then pour over the bread and leave to absorb for 10 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the pudding is set and browned. Leave to cool then serve some out for your baby to enjoy!