Some of you may may know that I work closely with Supertreats, who offer delicious caffeine-free, refined sugar free carob bars as a healthier alternative to chocolate. Silky Milky, Cheery Chia (just like chocolate orange with chia seeds) and Merry Berry (loaded with blueberries) complete the range, all as tasty as each other and packed full of goodness. You can find the recipes I create using these #IndulgingInnocently treats over on their blog 🙂
Alongside that, Supertreats have collaborated with no added sugar Jersey ice cream brand, Minioti, also set up by mums who wanted healthier sweet treats for their little ones. As a mum myself aiming to ensure Thomas has a balanced diet as a he grows up, I have so much respect and admiration that Virpi (Supertreats) and Anna and Natasha (Minioti) made their dreams happen and created these alternatives.
So bringing the two together, I’ve made these super easy recipe that is a MUST to make this summer as a refreshing dessert for all the family to enjoy!
For the base –
- 50g rolled oats
- 50g dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 50g almonds
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 x Supertreats Merry Berry Bar, broken up into chunks
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the filling –
- 1 + ½ 500ml tubs Minioti Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g mixed frozen berries
- Berries to decorate
- First make the base: Place the drained dates, oats, almonds and coconut in a blender and whizz up until broken down.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and Supertreats then add to the blender and whizz up again until you have a slightly sticky flapjack mixture.
- Press this into the base of a loose-bottomed 15cm tin, using your fingers to push in evenly.
- Remove the tub of ice cream from the freezer and allow to defrost a little. Spoon out into a bowl and leave until more melted and easy to mix. Stir in the berries and vanilla.
- Pour over the base and spread evenly to fill the case. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours until set.
- When ready to serve, remove from the freezer 10 minutes beforehand then remove from the tin and pop onto a plate and cut into 4-6 slices. Enjoy!