Who doesn’t love a spot of baking? It’s fun, therapeutic and the best bit – eating the baked goods when they are ready! Whether you’re fully vegan or doing Veganuary for a challenge, baking may seem a bit daunting or uncertain if you’re not sure about what ingredients or alternatives to use compared to traditional baking. That’s a huge part of my job – working out healthy and free-from ways to bake while still creating a delicious treat!
This loaf uses aquafaba aka chickpea brine which has been catapulted to fame as a way of making a vegan meringue by whisking it – how the hell did someone find that out??!! But it also works well in a cake/loaf/muffin batter mixture to lighten it up and create a fluffy, spongy texture which I love. With a combination of raspberries, coconut, apples and the best bit – Mr Fitzpatrick’s Vintage Cordials Raspberry & Lavender no added sugar cordial – this makes a gorgeous, tasty bake to enjoy at any time of day, for any occasion!
- 100g brown rice flour (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 100g oat flour (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 100g coconut sugar (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 100g apple puree
- Brine from 1 x can chickpeas
- 50ml almond milk
- 30ml Mr Fitzpatrick’s Raspberry & Lavender no added sugar cordial
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g fresh or frozen raspberries
To decorate –
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk powder (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 2 teaspoons raspberry powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Freeze-dried raspberries
- Dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Mix together the flours, coconut sugar, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl.
- Whisk together the apple puree, chickpea brine (aquafaba), almond milk, cordial and vanilla until frothy.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in the raspberries gently.
- Spoon into the tin and smooth out evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes until firmed up and golden. Leave to cool then pop out of the tin and onto a wire rack.
- Whisk together the coconut milk powder, raspberry powder, water and maple syrup until you have a slightly runny consistency. Drizzle this over the loaf then sprinkle over the freeze-dried raspberries and rose petals. Slice and enjoy!