Naturally nutritious, crunchy and delicious, Great British apples are one of the nation’s best loved fruit. Whether cooking up a storm or looking for a wholesome snack on the go, there’s an apple for every occasion – which is why it’s great to collaborate with Great British Apples and share the love for one of my favourite fruits!
I’ve eaten an apple a day for as long as I can remember; it has to be cold an crunchy, not too tart or sweet, either Royal Gala or Braeburn. On it’s own, chopped up and served with yogurt, baked with a crumble on top or added to a recipe… The list is endless.
Coupled with that, it was great to receive a new apple-based product from St Dalfour, a traditional French recipe sweetened only with vineyard ripened grape and fruit juice concentrates to create a delicious 100% fruit spread. Celebrating apples together with the perfect partner – cinnamon – plus dates, oats and walnuts, this breakfast recipe makes a special start to the day.
For the porridge –
- 150g rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 6 tablespoons chopped dates (I used Beloved)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 750m almond milk (I used Alpro)
- 2-3 tablespoons maple or date syrup (I used Beloved)
For the apples –
- 2 apples, chopped
- 3 tablespoons St Dalfour Apple & Cinnamon spread
- Walnuts (I used Whitworths)
- Date nectar
- Make the porridge: Place the oats, dates and cinnamon in a pan and pour in the milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until thickened. Stir in the maple syrup and set aside to cool a little.
- Place the apples in another small pan with the spread and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened and caramelised.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls, spoon over half the apples, sprinkle over some walnuts and drizzle over date nectar – then enjoy!
Note: If you can’t get your hands on the spread, place the apples in a pan with 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes.