Guys, you need to get 7th July in your diary…Why? Because it’s WORLD CHOCOLATE DAY! This might be something many of you celebrate every day (me included) but it’s great to have a dedicated day where we can all embrace and enjoy this wonderful ingredient.
Luxury chocolatiers Lily O’Brien’s got in touch to create a dessert recipe using some of their wonderful, award-winning chocolates as inspiration which was rather exciting – one of the biggest hampers of goodies I’ve ever received! One of the products caught my eye, the Zesty Orange Chocolate truffles, which made me go down the route of something chocolate orange because who doesn’t love Terry’s Chocolate Orange?
A no-bake brownie base made from dates, nuts, oats and cacao spiked with orange zest for a delicious twist in these individual desserts is topped with dark chocolate and the truffles for the finishing touch.
For the base –
- 200g dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes (I used Whitworths)
- 100g nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans – just one or use a mixture)
- 30g oats (I used Quaker)
- 40g cacao or cocoa powder (I used Bioglan)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons smooth nut butter (I used Pip & Nut)
- Zest of 2 oranges
For the topping –
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee)
- 100g Lily O’Brien’s dark chocolate drops
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- Dash of orange extract
To decorate –
- Lily O’Brien’s Zesty Orange Chocolate truffles
- Small oranges or citrus fruit, halved
- Cacao nibs
- First make the base – Drain the dates and add to a food processor (I used my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja) with the other ingredients and whizz up well until combined and broken down.
- Divide between an 8-10 hole muffin silicone mould and press down well. Fill up to ⅔ then set aside.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate then spoon over the top of each to cover and reach the top.
- Arrange a half of the truffle on top (cut side up) and a slice of the citrus fruit on top then sprinkle over some cacao nibs. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours until set.
- Once set pop out of the tin and enjoy!