You’ve got to love that first meal of the day, whatever time that might be for you (for me it’s about 10am after a workout and general busy parent life!) – BREAKFAST. Whether you’re a cereal fan, prefer a cooked meal or grab a smoothie on the go, there are so many options you can make at home or buy while out.
To coincide with Dove’s Farm Freee Foods’ breakfast campaign offering every simple, gluten-free and vegan ways start to the day with their cereal range, I’ve created these simple but INCREDIBLE layered no-bake bars. Using the Organic Cereal Flakes and Organic Oats to form part of the base and topping, the secret weapon is the filling of a sticky date caramel AND chocolate nut butter layer – nommmm!
For the base + topping –
- 150g Freee From Organic Cereal Flakes
- 200g Freee From Organic Porridge Oats
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
- 1 tablespoon smooth nut butter (I used Pic’s Peanut Butter)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or alternative (I used Sweet Freedom)
For the date caramel –
- 250g dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes (I used Whitworths)
- 3 tablespoons smooth nut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For the chocolate layer –
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons smooth nut butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or alternative
- 6 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder (I used Bioglan)
- First make the base and topping – Place the ingredients into a blender (I used my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja) and pulse until broken down and the mixture comes together. Press just over half into a 9x9in lined tin and place in the fridge.
- Add the dates + 3 tablespoons of the water and the other ingredients into a blender and whizz up until quite thick and smooth. Spread this over the base to cover and return to the fridge.
- Melt the coconut oil, nut butter and maple syrup then whisk in the cacao or cocoa powder. Pour this over the date caramel to cover.
- Sprinkle over the remaining base mixture (it should be like a crumble texture) and press down gently. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours until firmed up.
- Lift out of the tin and onto a chopping board then cut into 12-16 bars and enjoy!