These gorgeously decorated donuts are actually made from a carrot cake mixture studded with colourful, juicy blueberries for a delicious twist. Topped with a vanilla frosting, I’ve used one of my favourite products to create the finishing touch on these pretty treats – freeze-dried blueberries from Lio Licious, which add a satisfying, tangy crunch to complement everything else. Donuts the healthy way, what’s not to love? 🙂
For the donuts –
- 1 large banana
- 1 x can butter beans
- 150ml milk of choice
- 4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g flour of choice (can be gluten-free)
- 100g sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 100g frozen blueberries
For the frosting –
- 200g 0% fat Greek yogurt, Quark or dairy-free alternative
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Dash of vanilla extract
To decorate –
- Lio Licious Dried Blueberries
- Edible flower petals
- Preheat the oven to 180C and lightly grease a 6-hole donut tin.
- Place the banana, butter beans, milk, maple syrup and vanilla into a blender and whizz up until smooth.
- Add in the flour, sweetener, baking powder and cinnamon and blend again until a smooth batter has formed.
- Stir in the grated carrot and blueberries then use a teaspoon to divide the mixture between the donut holes, filling each up to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firmed up. Leave to cool then pop out the tin.
- Meanwhile beat together the yogurt/Quark with the maple syrup, coconut flour and vanilla extract and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Spread each cooled donut with some of the mixture to cover. Arrange some of the dried blueberries on top along with edible flowers – then enjoy!