Fluffy banana donuts topped with a thick chocolate frosting – hands up who fancies one? Or a couple?! Far too irresistable to not enjoy yourself, or share with others. These went down a storm with my little one (baby not quite old enough yet – he’s missing out!) and would make a great treat for kids, especially if as a parent you’re wanting something a little healthier – without compromising on taste or visual appeal. That’s where Be Fabalous Organic lower sugar Hazelnut & Cocoa Spread made with chickpeas comes in [post in paid collaboration with the brand]. You could easily use this batter to make cupcakes instead of donuts if you don’t have a mould, and frost them the same as in the recipe.
For the donuts –
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g gluten-free flour
- 100g coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Fabalous organic crunchy hazelnut & cocoa spread
For the frosting –
- 2 tablespoons Fabalous organic hazelnut & cocoa spread
- 2 tablespoons smooth nut butter
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Cacao nibs & chopped nuts, to decorate
- First make the donuts: Place the bananas, egg, milk, vanilla, flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor and blend until smooth and quite thick.
- Divide the mixture between a 6-hole silicone donut tin to fill and reach the top, add a few teaspoons of the crunchy spread into each and swirl around. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Leave to cool.
- While cooling, make the frosting: Beat together the spread, nut butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder until thick and keep in the fridge until needed.
- Once the donuts have cooled, pop out and place onto a wire rack. Spread some of the frosting on top of each, sprinkle over the cacao nibs and chopped nuts, then enjoy!