The first recipe for my Sweet Freedom/Choc Shot recipe challenge. These little treats are just how carrot cake should be – moist, delicious and substantial. The addition of bananas, whey protein and chia seeds add extra flavour, a protein boost and great texture, while the creamy but fat-free almond frosting is literally the icing on the cake!
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 25g gluten-free flour (Dove’s Farm)
- 25g vanilla whey powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp Sweet Freedom
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 25g chopped walnuts
- 3 carrots, grated
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
FROSTING: 100g Total 0% Greek Yogurt, 2 tsp Sweet Freedom, dash of almond extract
1) Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius and lightly grease 10 cupcake trays with coconut oil.
2) In a large bowl mix together the flour, ground almonds, chia seeds, baking powder, grated carrots, walnuts, orange zest and cinnamon. Mix in the mashed bananas.
3) Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, Sweet Freedom and almond extract then pour into the bowl, mixing thoroughly but not too much. Spoon mixture into the cupcake tins until just to the top, then bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
4) Meanwhile, stir the frosting ingredients well in a bowl then keep in the fridge until needed – it will firm up a bit and go thick and creamy. When your cupcakes have cooled down, add a dollop on top, sprinkle a few walnut pieces over then devour!