One of my favourite combinations ever is the sweetness of banana and the creamy nuttyness of peanut butter mixed with the richness of chocolate. Of course, this is not ideal when it come to calories, fat and sugar – however, lo and behold I did a little experiment and have created these delicious high protein bars based on this mixture of flavours, with the addition of Linwoods Flaxseed mix with biocultures and vitamin D for a nutrient boost. The result? Irresistible but healthy snack bars to satisfy a sweet tooth!
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ can cooked apple slices (nothing added)
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- 1 large tbsp peanut butter (I used Nuts’n’More)
- 2 x scoops choc peanut whey protein (I used PhD Nutrition diet)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp Linwoods Flaxseed with biocultures and vitamin D
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup Natvia (natural sweetener)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Icing: 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp Natvia, 1 tbsp cornflour, 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease a rectangular baking tin.
- Whizz up the banana and apple slices until you get a smooth puree, then put in a large bowl with the eggs, peanut butter and vanilla – beat well until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat well until combined and you get a smooth batter, then pour into the tin and spread evenly. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Remove, slice into bars and leave to cool.
- Prepare the icing – melt the coconut oil in a small pan, then add the cocoa powder, Natvia and coconut milk – keep at a low heat. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water to make a paste then whisk into the pan while still cooking. Whisk well until you get a smooth thick ‘sauce’.
- Remove from heat, then move quickly and spread a spoonful or two over each bar until covered on top. Return to fridge until ready to serve – either eat straight away chilled or bring to room temperature. NOM!
Have you seen my other #IndulgingInnocently creations using Linwoods Flaxseed products? Check out: Flaxseed & Berry Booster Protein Smoothie / Vanilla & Apricot Flaxseed Cookies / Chocolate & Beetroot Superfood Muffins / Protein Maca & Cacao Flaxseed Iced Muffins with Spiced Pumpkin Yogurt & Granola Topping