Beetroot. In a chocolate baking recipe…I had my doubts but I’ve seen this vibrant purple vegetable feature in many healthy brownie and cake recipes, so I thought I’d be brave and give it a go. Focusing around using Linwoods Foods Flaxseed, Cocoa & Berries mix along with their goji berries and hemp seeds, I wanted to create muffins packed full of goodness while being moist, tasty and to satisfy a sweet tooth, with the addition of a cheeky, creamy avocado chocolate frosting (trust me, it works) – perfection!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 6 tbsp Linwoods Flaxseed, Cocoa & Berries mix
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 2 tbsp Linwoods goji berries
- 2 tbsp Linwoods hemp seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Natvia or other sweetener
- 200g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot, rinsed
- 4 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Topping: 2 ripe avocados, 50g low sugar chocolate (I used OhSo dark), 2 tbsp Natvia or other sweetener, 1tsp vanilla, ¼ cup almond milk, ½ scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1) First make the muffins – preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease 6-8 muffin tins.
2) Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Blend together the beetroot, coconut oil, eggs, milk, vanilla and milk until thoroughly mixed, then pour into the bowl and mix well so you have a soft and colourful mixture. Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
3) Remove from oven and leave to cool. Meanwhile make the topping – melt the chocolate and leave to cool slightly, then add to a blender with the other ingredients and whizz together until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and chill until needed.
4) To serve, simply add the topping onto a muffin and enjoy!
Have you seen my other #IndulgingInnocently creations using Linwoods Flaxseed products? Check out: Banana, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Flaxseed Protein Bars / Flaxseed & Berry Booster Protein Smoothie / Vanilla & Apricot Flaxseed Cookies / Protein Maca & Cacao Flaxseed Iced Muffins with Spiced Pumpkin Yogurt & Granola Topping