Carrot cake is one of my absolute favourite treats, but as we all know it certainly isn’t the healthiest. That’s why I wanted to challenge myself to create a delicious moist one, spiked with ginger and crunchy walnut pieces. Gluten-free, very low in added sugar and extra protein, the nutty topping addition thanks to Hale Naturals PPB makes this a treat for all to enjoy, whatever the occasion – and completely guilt-free!
For the cake –
- 3 large carrots, grated
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup vanilla whey protein powder (I used PhD Nutrition)
- ½ cup natural sweetener
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g walnut pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 x small can of butterbeans, drained
- 1 can cooked (unsweetened) apples
- 2-4 tbsp nut milk
For the icing –
- 1 tub Quark
- 2 tbsp Hale Naturals Original PPB
- ½ scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1-2 tbsp natural sweetener, depending on taste
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease and line a rectangular baking tray.
- Put the grated carrots, walnuts and the other dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to a blender and whizz up well until smooth.
- Pour into the bowl and mix well, being careful not to overmix while ensuring everything is folded in. Spoon into your prepared tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden. Remove from and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice up into 12, transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and chill until needed, the mixture should be quite thick. When ready to serve, smooth some on top, sprinkle over extra walnuts and devour!