It was an absolute pleasure to be invited to help out on the Kaizen Living stand at their official launch at the BBC Good Food Eat Well Show in London. I’ve written about the superfoods brand, based in Manchester, quite a few times now on my blog – a story about its roots, some recipe creations from a while back and more recent ones like Raw Coconut & Berry Bites and Cacao Protein Pancakes.
Last weekend I went down to Olympia on the Saturday and it was fantastic to see such a buzzing crowd around the stand. The night before I had made a big batch of these Superfood Mint Swirl Brownies, made using Kaizen Living’s organic cacao powder in the chocolate part, while I added chlorella powder to the peppermint mixture, which gave it a wonderfully vibrant green touch. We offered small samples of these goodies, which certainly went down a treat during the day!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup stevia
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 3 tbsp Kaizen Living cacao powder
- 2 tbsp Kaizen Living Chlorella powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp agave syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 tsp tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp almond or hemp milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease and line a baking tray.
- Put all of the dry ingredients except the chlorella and cacao powder and mix well.
- In another bowl mix together the bananas, yogurt, syrup and eggs until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and gently fold in until you have a thick batter. Here’s the fun part!
- Take about ⅓ of the mixture and put in a separate bowl. Stir in the chlorella powder and peppermint extract, along with the coconut oil – you should have a bright green slightly runny mixture, which is what you want!
- In the remaining ⅔ of the plan mixture, stir in the cacao powder, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour about two-thirds of this chocolate mixture into your baking tray. Now take spoonfuls of your green peppermint mixture and dot around on top, spacing it out evenly. Spoon the rest of your chocolate mixture on top and using a knife or skewer, swirl around to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until risen and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, slice into about 12 squares and cool completely in the tin before transferring to a wire rack. Now enjoy!
In the meantime, check out the brand new Kaizen Living site over here and get your orders in!