After announcing the exciting news that I’ll be working exclusively with PhD Nutrition and PhD Woman, here’s my first recipe challenge! I always love getting creative in the kitchen and re-creating healthy versions of family favourites for when I go and see my parents and grandparents – which is why this recipe is dedicated to: COFFEE CAKE!
My Mum and Grandma in particular have a sweet tooth, so armed with Vita Coco Mocha café latte (seriously – you’ve got to try it if you’re a coffee fan!) and my favourite PhD Nutrition whey protein, here’s how my challenge turned out!
- 2 scoops PhD Nutrition whey protein powder (Both the diet and PhD Woman Exercise Support Vanilla Crème flavours work amazingly)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup natural sweetener (I used stevia)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnut pieces, chopped
- ½ can cooked unsweetened apple slices
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (I used Kaizen Living)
- 2 tbsp Vita Coco Cafe Latte coconut water
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease and line a loaf tin, silicone if possible.
- Put the rolled oats in a blender and whizz up until you have a flour-like texture. Tip this into a large bowl and add the protein powder, buckwheat flour, baking powder, sweetener, walnuts and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Place the apple slices, eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract in a blender and whizz up until smooth.
- Pour this into the dry ingredient mixture and gently fold in. Now spoon about half of the mixture into a separate bowl, and stir in the cacao powder and Vita Coco coffee coconut water into this half until smooth.
- Now take it in turns to add spoonfuls of each mixture alternately into the loaf tin until you have used both of the mixtures up, then swirl around a little with a knife.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean – you might want to cover halfway through so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ready to serve? Simply slice up and enjoy by itself (it’s certainly tasty enough!) or spread a little solid coconut oil over for a silky smooth, buttery touch!