As a huge fan of Oppo Ice Cream I was excited to be asked to do a takeover for their Instagram with a recipe – and here it is! With autumn/winter being all about apples and spices, what better way to pair this flavour combination than with SALTED CARAMEL? These no-bake bites – complete with a crumble topping – are just what you need this season.
For the oat base and crumble part –
- 175g rolled oats (I used Flahavan’s)
- 3 tablespoons oat flour (I whizzed up oats in my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja)
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (I used Pic’s)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the spiced apples –
- 150g peeled, chopped apples (from my mum’s garden!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (I used The Groovy Food Company)
For the salted caramel filling –
- ½ tub Oppo Salted Caramel Ice Cream
For the caramel drizzle –
- 3 tablespoons cashew or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons date nectar (I used Beloved)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- First make the base: Mix together the oats, oat flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Melt the peanut butter, maple syrup and coconut oil then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine and form a flapjack mixture.
- Press ½ of this into the base of a small lined rectangular tin or tupperware box and use your fingers to push in to evenly cover the base. Chill in the fridge.
- Next make the spiced apples: Place everything in a pan with a dash of water and cook for 5-10 minutes until the apples have softened and any liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Now make the filling: Remove the Oppo ice cream from the freezer and place in a food processor or blender along with 3 tablespoons of the apples and whizz up until smooth. Spread this over the base.
- Arrange the spiced apples over the top then crumble up the rest of the oat mixture, scatter on top and press down gently. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove from the freezer 10 minutes beforehand then turn out onto a chopping board and use a large sharp knife to cut into pieces.
- Whisk together the drizzle ingredients together then drizzle over each bite – now enjoy!