When time is short, you want something nutritious and high in protein (and also tasty!) in the morning, it’s easy to grab something unhealthy or full of sugar. So why not make your own super easy, energy and protein packed treats that taste like having a dessert for breakfast? Simply throw the muffin ingredients into a blender, whizz up and bake then top with a creamy chocolate topping. Using one of my favourite vegan protein powders, Vega Clean Protein, I love how this tastes and even better, the powder bakes really well. Feel free to use either chocolate or vanilla flavours in this recipe, or throw in some berries or other fruits and nuts for extra taste and texture. Enjoy!
- 150g rolled oats (I used Flahavan’s)
- 50g ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder (I used Nature’s Heart)
- 2 scoops Vega vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250ml almond milk
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Indigo Herbs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping –
- 150g Quark or coconut yogurt
- 1 scoop Vega vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and lightly grease a 6-hole muffin tin.
- Place all of the muffin ingredients into a blender (I used my Ninja Kitchen Nutri Ninja) and whizz up until mostly smooth.
- Divide between the 6 muffin holes to reach the top and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and firmed up. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the topping ingredients until quite thick and keep in the fridge. Once the muffins have cooled, spread some topping on each one to cover. Sprinkle over the cacao nibs and freeze-dried raspberries and enjoy!