Autumn signals comfort food, but this doesn’t have to mean stodgy, fatty and calorific meals and sweet things. Using PhD Nutrition’s delicious Protein Flapjack+ bars as part of a crumble topping, this low sugar, high protein dessert is packed full of complex carbohydrates and makes a delicious post workout refuel to help aid lean muscle growth. Any fruit can be used, but a good old apple and berry combo works an absolute treat with this oaty combination.
Ingredients (serves 2):
For the crumble –
- 2 x PhD Nutrition Protein Flapjack+ (Apple & Raspberry)
- 2 tbsp rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted (I used Lucy Bee)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
For the fruit filling –
- 2 apples, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp natural sweetener (I used Truvia sweetener)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Have a small pie or deep dish ready to fill!
- Place the berries and apples in a small pan with the natural sweetener and a dash of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes to soften and so the juices unleash from the berries. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water to form a paste. Add this into your pan and continue to cook and stir so the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and spoon into the dish.
- In a large bowl, break up both PhD Nutrition flapjack bars into very small pieces – if you don’t mind your crumble topping chunky, that’s fine too! Now stir in the oats, flaked almonds, coconut oil and cinnamon to create a slightly sticky, oaty mixture.
- Spoon this on top of the fruit to cover, then bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Enjoy hot or cooled down – tuck in!