Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, without a doubt. An opportunity to refuel after an early morning workout, I love coming up with ideas that combine a balance of protein, complex carbs and fibre to keep me going throughout the morning, while also boosting my nutrients.
This bowl of goodness is basically heaven eaten with a spoon. The tahini adds a wonderful, fudge-like flavour and texture for the oats and chia seeds to soak up a coffee-flavoured, vanilla and baobab liquid. The finishing touches really are the icing on the cake of this actually quite healthy dish!
It’s a pleasure for this recipe to be hosted in Adjustable Bed‘s Breakfast in Bed eBook (FREE to download here), curated by my foodie friend, Sophie (the gorgeous face behind Sophie’s Scran).
- 4 tbsp rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (Kaizen Living)
- 1 tsp coffee made up with a little boiling water
- 1 cup almond or hazelnut milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or salted caramel extract
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 scoop PhD Nutrition vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp baobab
- Large pinch of nutmeg
Scoop of Oppo Ice Cream (Salted Caramel & Lucuma), sliced banana, flaked almonds and Kaizen Living cacao nibs, Beloved date nectar
- Put the oats and chia seeds in a small pan with the made-up coffee and almond milk, bring to the boil then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the protein powder, extract, tahini, baobab and nutmeg and leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes. You may want to add a little water if it gets too thick.
- Now top with your additions and dig in!