As we’re heading into winter, it’s all about those warming spices – ginger, cinnamon – as well as bold, colourful ingredients like dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Coupled with the burst of orange zest and sneaking in some grated carrot and mashed banana for adding nutrients, these chunky snack bar are bursting with taste, texture and goodness.
Wrap them up and take them to work, before or after the gym, or even enjoy as a breakfast on the go. Use dried apricots or raisins in place of dried cranberries, perhaps add grated apple or pear instead of or as well as the carrot, and try switching up the seeds for nuts like pecans or walnuts. However you choose to make them, you know they’ll be a winner for all the family!
- 200g rolled oats (I used Mornflake)
- 75g dried cranberries (I used Buy Wholefoods Online)
- 75g pumpkin seeds (I used Whitworths)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 4 tablespoons smooth nut butter (I used Pic’s Peanut Butter)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup or other (I used Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm x 25cm baking tin.
- Mix together the oats, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, grated carrot, cinnamon, ginger and orange zest in a bowl.
- Gently melt the coconut oil with the nut butter and maple syrup. Pour into the bowl along with the mashed banana and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Tip into the tin and spread out evenly. Pat down well with the back of a spoon then bake for 25 minutes until golden and firm. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes then cut into bars. Leave to cool completely then enjoy!