A crunchy base and topping with a deliciously rich cacao filling…These bites are ideal for an energy boosting snack or treat to satisfy those sweet cravings. Using quinoa and seeds results in an extra nutty flavour which really boosts the taste and texture. I used the raw cacao chocolate sauce from Broma Foods (vegan, no refined sugar, gluten and dairy-free) added to blended dates and some nut butter for a chocolate-packed centre.
For the base and topping –
- 200g quinoa
- 100g oats (I used Quaker)
- 100g mixed seeds (I used Whitworths)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used Clarks)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (I used Tiana)
For the cacao centre –
- 200g prunes or dates
- 4 tablespoons Broma Foods cacao sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (I used Pic’s Peanut Butter)
- First preheat the oven to 170C and mix together the ingredients for the base in a bowl. Spread out evenly onto a large baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 20 minutes until golden. Add in 2 more tablespoons of maple syrup while still warm then leave to cool completely.
- Place the dates or prunes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes then drain (keep 3 tablespoons of the water) and add to a blender with the cacao sauce and peanut butter. Blend until smooth and quite thick.
- Press half of the mixture into a bases of a 6-hole silicone muffin tin to fill up to ⅓. Spread a generous layer of the cacao sauce on the top of each one, then sprinkle over the remaining quinoa crunch and press down well.
- Chill in the fridge for 4 hours (or overnight), then pop out of the tin and enjoy!